Cleaning and Storing
Cleaning your Romertopf Clay Baker is just as simple as cooking healthy, delicious meals, but there are a few things that must always be considered when caring for your baker.
We recommend cleaning your clay baker after every use. If the baker has been used for bread or other dishes which have not left baked-on food particles, a simple washing with lukewarm water will do.
- Do not place hot baker in cold water. Let the clay baker cool down to room temperature before cleaning.
Because the Romertopf is made from all-natural materials, it will change color in places or get darker. This is a normal occurrence and does not effect the Romertopf's performance. After about 100 uses, the baker should be deep-cleaned. (see below for deep cleaning instructions)
German-made Romertopf Clay Bakers (glazed interior bottom): General Cleaning
- Wash with hot water and a mild dishwashing liquid. Do not use harsh abrasives on the lid which can damage the porous and unglazed clay. Clean with a stiff brush or non-abrasive sponge.
- German-made Romertopf Clay Bakers are dishwasher safe and you can put both the top and the bottom in your dishwasher. We recommend the top shelf and making sure your clay baker fits securely in the racks to avoid damage from contact with other items. Use the normal wash cycle and be sure to let the clay baker dry completely before storing.
- If the unglazed lid is retaining odors, make a solution of baking soda and water in the base of the baker, cover with the soaked lid and bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit to help pull the left-over smell out of the lid.
UNGLAZED RECO CLAY BAKERS (made in Mexico):
Please note that because RECO Romertopf clay bakers are completely unglazed, they are subject to holding bacteria and odors. We recommend soaking these clay bakers with a baking soda or vinegar solution for at least 1 hour every time you clean your clay baker, then scrubbing with a stiff brush to remove baked-on food particles. You may also want to do a deep cleaning if the food particles are hard to remove.
Harsh abrasives of any kind should not be used.
- General cleaning: fill the top and bottom of cooled baker with lukewarm water, add baking soda or vinegar and let soak for at least 1 hour. Scrub if needed with a plastic sponge or stiff brush.
- For deep cleaning you can fill top and bottom with water, add baking soda or vinegar, put into the oven (COLD) side by side or at two levels, set oven temperature to 400ºF, and bring the water to a boil for half an hour. Turn the oven off and let the Romertopf cool down in oven until safe to handle.
- Do not use scouring agents or harsh dish soaps to clean your clay baker as these can block the pores of the clay baker and adversely effect the flavor of meals.
100 USE CARE: After you have cooked in your Romertopf for about 100 times, the baker should be deep cleaned by boiling it in clean water for about 30 minutes. (with Romertopf in the pot, bring water up to boil slowly). This allows the pores to completely open and breath again and store water as when the Romertopf was new. If you do not have a large stock pot or pan large enough to boil the size of your Romertopf, then simply soak the lid for 15 minutes, fill the bottom with water and baking soda (2-4 cups of water to 2 Tablespoons baking soda or vinegar), place lid on baker and set in cold oven. Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It is very important to let your Romertopf clay baker dry completely before storing. Once the clay baker is dried, invert the lid in the base. (The fiber divider that comes with your Romertopf clay baker is great for placing between the base and the lid to avoid damages during storage).
- Store in a well ventilated place with one half inside of the other. Do not store your clay baker inside cabinets or other small enclosures as this inhibits air flow. Placing a piece of paper towel between the lid and the base of the baker will absorb any moisture when the baker is not in use.
The Romertopf is a functional work of art and makes a beautiful addition to any kitchen countertop!