Special Anniversary Edition Clay Baker • 3.5 Quart /7.7 lbs. • Serves 4-6 • Glazed Bottom, Unglazed Lid
Romertopf celebrates 40 years of the best cooking and kitchen traditions with this beautiful classic medium-sized clay baker boasts beautiful designs of Roman columns and harps along with an embossed "40" year anniversary logo on the lid. The Romertopf 3.5 Qt. Anniversary Edition Clay Baker is perfect for those wanting an intermediate size between the 3 Qt. Model #111 and the 4 Qt. Model #113. An ideal clay baker for serving 4-6, this Romertopf easily accomodates a medium size roast or chicken while providing ample room for accompanying vegetables. Features a high dome lid which provides extra cooking capacity for larger items. The #140 Anniversary Edition is a versatile clay baker for roasting meats to perfection or creating layered dishes such as lasagnas and gratins. Includes instructions and recipes in 11 languages, including English.
Embossed Design: Roman columns, harps, "40"
- Brand: RÖMERTOPF®
- Model: #140
- Capacity: 3.5 Quarts, Meat Capacity: 7.7 lbs
- Approximate Dimensions | 13.3”L x 9”W x 7.5”H
- Serves: 4-6
- Origin: Made in Germany by Römertopf Bay Keramik GmbH.
- Material: Pure Elemental Clay extracted from Ransbach-Baumbach, Germany. Free of dies or fillers. Lead and Cadmium Free
- Bottom Section | Glazed with glass frit material, not a non-stick coating
- Top Section | Unglazed with superior pore absorption
- Use: All Oven and Microwave Types Do not use on stovetop or open flame
Cooking in your clay baker couldn't be easier, however, there are a few things that must be done every time you cook in your Romertopf.
FIRST TIME USE - ROMERTOPF Preparation
- Before using your Romertopf Clay Baker for the very first time, it needs a really good soak. Fill the lid with water and let it soak for 30-40 minutes. This is the only time your clay baker will need to soak this long. After the first soaking, from then on, the lid will only require 15-20 minutes soaking prior to each use.
- After the long soak is complete, rinse and lightly scrub with a brush to remove any clay dust particles which may still be attached as a result of the manufacturing process.
- Give the baker another good rinsing and you're all set to start cooking!
After first time use:
- Before every use, soak the clay baker lid for 15-20 minutes in water. If you are short on time, holding the lid under running cold water for about 30 seconds is sufficient for the pores to hold water.
- Place ingredients inside base of clay baker. Top with the pre-soaked lid (wipe out excess water)
- Always place your baker in a cold oven.
- Set the oven temperature AFTER the clay baker has been placed in cold oven to allow the baker to heat up gradually. Most recipes can be prepared at an oven temperature of around 375-500 degrees Fahrenheit. Generally, lower temperatures (between 375-425 degrees Fahrenheit) are ideal for meals requiring a long cooking time, while higher temperatures (425 and up) are for meals that require a short cooking time.
- Go relax while your clay baker prepares your meal to perfection! (optional, but highly recommended!)
Do not subject your clay baker to extreme temperature changes such as putting in cold water or on a cold surface (such as marble) straight from the oven or adding very cold liquids once the baker has heated up. Always place the clay baker on a hot pad or wooden cutting board once cooking is complete to avoid drastic temperature changes. Let the baker cool down completely before cleaning or storing leftovers.
Romertopf Clay Bakers are designed for oven use and are also microwave safe, however they are not for use on an open flame, stovetop or grill. The NEW ROMERTOPF GOES BBQ line is now available and specifically designed for use on direct flame. Visit our TIPS & TECHNIQUES for temperature guidelines and more on cooking in the ROMERTOPF Clay Baker
Cleaning your Romertopf Clay Baker is just as simple as cooking healthy, delicious meals, but there are a few things that must always be considered when caring for your baker.
We recommend cleaning your clay baker after every use. If the baker has been used for bread or other dishes which have not left baked-on food particles, a simple washing with lukewarm water will do.
- Do not place hot baker in cold water. Let the clay baker cool down to room temperature before cleaning.
Because the Romertopf is made from all-natural materials, it will change color in places or get darker. This is a normal occurrence and does not effect the Romertopf's performance. After about 100 uses, the baker should be deep-cleaned. (visit our Cleaning & Storing page deep cleaning instructions)
- Wash with hot water and a mild dishwashing liquid. Do not use harsh abrasives on the lid which can damage the porous and unglazed clay. Clean with a stiff brush or non-abrasive sponge.
- German-made Romertopf Clay Bakers are dishwasher safe and you can put both the top and the bottom in your dishwasher. We recommend the top shelf and making sure your clay baker fits securely in the racks to avoid damage from contact with other items. Use the normal wash cycle and be sure to let the clay baker dry completely before storing.
- If the unglazed lid is retaining odors, make a solution of baking soda and water in the base of the baker, cover with the soaked lid and bake for 30 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit to help pull the left-over smell out of the lid.
Store your Romertopf in an open air environment with the base inverted into the lid with a piece of paper towel between the two parts. It is not recommended to store your clay baker inside cabinets or other enclosures as this inhibits air flow. Ensure the baker is completely dry before storing.
Visit our Cleaning & Storing page for more details on deep-cleaning and 100 Use care.
RÖMERTOPF® Clay Bakers originated in Germany in 1967 and have a long-standing history in the gourmet housewares industry for superb cooking results. The superior clay used to craft each ROMERTOPF clay baker is from the Westerwald region of Germany, an area known for its pure, elemental clay which has given ROMERTOPF the leading edge for healthy, all-natural clay pot cooking. Seasoning of the clay bakers is not necessary. Simply soak the unglazed clay lid in tap water for about 15 minutes prior to each use and put the ROMERTOPF in a cold oven. Set the oven temperature and walk away. The ROMERTOPF will not need your attention as it cooks your meal to perfection!
Keeping up with the latest trends, Romertopf Clay Bakers are available in a variety of styles and sizes to suit any kitchen decor and family size. We offer the full RÖMERTOPF® product line imported directly from Germany at direct discount prices, saving you 25-75%! Because of the world-wide registered patent, when you purchase your ROMERTOPF through us, you can feel confident knowing you are getting the Original RÖMERTOPF® made in Germany along with a 1-Year Limited Warranty. Should you need assistance deciding which clay baker is right for you, simply contact us and our customer support team will be glad to assist you.